Sunday, June 26, 2011

I'm back!


Well, it's been a while!

And there are reasons.

But, let me say first that I did, in fact, run the Boston Run to Remember Half Marathon 2010. My time wasn't great. But while running it I didn't really care. 2:37 or something like that. I'd thought I'd do 2:15. But, alas, heat and bathroom breaks (more about that below) made that a non-reality. And I was more concerned with finishing and making sure my family saw me at the finish line (I actually stopped at one point and called my husband when I was a mile away just so I could make sure they saw me and he was able to take a picture!) than I was about my time. It was a good, albeit tiring, experience. I was so happy to have done it. I felt so strong afterward. And, importantly, I was ready for another one!



But, like I said above, it's been awhile!

The first reason is that after half a year of fall and winter running, it was hard to run during the summer. I had kid obligations. It was hot. We traveled. It was hot. Did I mention it was hot? I had a really, really hard time running in the heat! Then, the second reason happened: I got a nasty calf strain in the fall. That just blew everything to hell. I had signed up for a fall half marathon, but with the calf strain there was no way I could get the miles in to accomplish that. It sort of sucked. But, I got over it and maintained my base (about 10 or so miles a week) throughout the winter. I even did speed work at the track. I like running in the cold so that wasn't too bad. But I didn't have a goal, just the determination to maintain that base. And I did.

But then we come to reason three for my hiatus. I needed to have surgery. I'd been putting it off for about a year because it was the kind of surgery that disrupts your life in a fairly significant way.

And here is where I give the big warning to those who don't want to read about female problems.

So...warning! Discussion about childbirth related injuries to follow and the accompanying surgery to correct said problems below!


Have we cleared the room of children and weak-bellied folks? Yes? Good.

So, let's back up. About 10 years. It's a story that many mother runners with understand. While giving birth to my first son, Ryan, 10 years ago I suffered a fairly significant vaginal tear and damage to the sphincter which controls the bladder. I was stitched up, encouraged to do kegels and eventually "healed." But my "new normal" had issues. Leaking bladder. Swollen hoo-ha. And things that just didn't feel *right*. There was no easily-accessible literature about this type of injury at the time. Think about "googling" in 2001. Not alot of published medical journals, but lots of message boards with women asking "what the hell?!" The consumer-oriented postpartum books were shockingly unhelpful. And I say shockingly because if you can't get the straight shit from other women, who the hell can you get it from. I was at a loss. Even my OB/GYN was less than forthcoming. He only said "You might need to get that 'resurgerized' sometime later." Okay, dude. Thanks for that amazing medical advice.

So, two children later let's just say my nether-regions were in need of help. Add running as a sport into the mix and you can see why I decided surgery was a valid option.

I realized that surgery was a possibility because, thankfully, my new OB/GYN was no longer a guy, but a woman my age (in her 40s). She's the kind of person that, if she weren't charged with the care and upkeep of my vagina on a yearly basis, she'd be my friend. I told her about my issues. She knew exactly what I was talking about. She gave me names of "uro-gynecological surgeons" and sex therapists and told me that there was definitely something I could do about this.

I did my research. I interviewed two different surgeons and went through both of their battery of tests to make sure that the diagnosis was the same. Both said *exactly* the same thing to me. Stress Incontinence and Posterior Rectocele. Recommendation: surgery. And the surgery was explained to me in great detail. It's invasive, although now considered to be state-of-the-art. Because I'm a runner, both recommend what's called a TVT-Sling that's a bit sturdier and involves two incisions to the abdomen. Both said they wouldn't touch the rectocle unless they were going in to do the sling. Clearly, I was doing the right surgery. I signed on for January (post fall half marathon. BTW, one of the surgeons said to me "You can run 10 miles? At once?" That was slightly gratifying).

Although originally I thought January would be a good time to do it, family obligations got in the way. We decided to rent a ski house for the winter (first time) and that meant not only that I wouldn't be able to ski, but that I wouldn't be able to even help carry the kids' skis! The recovery for this surgery is pretty strict. For 6 weeks I was not allowed to do the following: run or lift more than 5lbs. That means, I couldn't pick up a gallon of milk, go grocery shopping, lift laundry baskets, children, cats, boiling pots of water...etc. You get the picture. I would be like an old lady for 6 weeks. It was hard. We had a messy house and I bought milk by the half gallon and not the gallon. No laundry was put away. It's been almost 3 weeks since my final "6 week check up" and I'm still trying to get this house back to where it should be. But, I have happy news to report.

I can sneeze and laugh without wetting my pants. And, most importantly, I can run. I can run without wearing a freaking Depends in my compression shorts. Holy moly. It's true. I might *feel* like I have to pee. But I DON'T WET MY FREAKING SHORTS. It's amazing. And so worth it. My very first run was at the gym on a treadmill. I did a slow mile. 10 minutes later I stopped and went to the bathroom. Dry as a freaking bone! Can you believe it??

And it continues like that. Like I said, it's been almost 3 weeks since my final check up and since I've been given the "all clear" with activities. I no longer leak. My new normal is NORMAL. And I'm so ready to get back to where I was a year ago.

Of course, when one takes time off, there are limitations. And unfortunately, I found a limitation yesterday. I've been slowly introducing hill work into my routine these past three weeks. Yesterday I did a fairly steep incline after a 2 mile run and did it for probably about a mile. I came home and within the hour realized that I had another calf strain--same leg that had it last fall. Ugh.

But it's always something and I just need to accept it, incorporate it into my training and move on. I may even get a coach this time around. I'm determined to find a way to make this part of my life and not just "wing it" anymore.

So, I'm here! I'm ready....but, like everyone, there are always issues.

I've signed up for and am excited to do the Chilly Half Marathon in Newton, MA this November 13th. Lots of big hills around miles 8, 9 and 10. So I'll need to figure out how to train for them without hurting my freaking calves again.

Wish me luck. I'm back!!

12 comments:

  1. And feel free to comment! I'd love to hear from everyone...it gives me momentum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Running without peeing?!! Dare to dream. I had third degree tearing with my first child and was never exactly right after... Enter my second child eight years later and I'm a freaking mess. Literally. Your story gives me hope, I know the first step is talking with my doctor but it's got to be done. Someday.

    So sorry about the calf strain, I hope it heals quickly for you and you don't get injured again. I did some decent hills over the weekend and watched my speed (nonexistent to begin with) plummet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are back on the blog (and running)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am actually thankful to the owner of this web page who has shared this enormous piece of writing at at this place.


    Take a look at my blog post :: http://onurbridals.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really inspired with your writing skills as well as with the structure to your weblog. Is that this a paid subject matter or did you customize it your self? Anyway keep up the nice high quality writing, it is uncommon to see a great weblog like this one nowadays..

    my site; Full Post

    ReplyDelete

  6. I have been in bondage ever since my ex leaves ME for another man,It was really hell for me and everybody told me to forget about her but i could not because i love her so much. Things get worse until my friend introduced me to this great spell Therapist ONIHA and i contacted him through his email winexbackspell@gmail.com i explain everything to him and he cast a spell for me immediately after four days, everything turn around and my love come to me on her knee begging for forgiveness that i am the one and only man in her life now. I was surprise i have never seen such a miracle in my life. I am so thankful to this man and i will forever publish his name Therapist Oniha of the winexbackspell@gmail.com is the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very soon this website will be famous among all blogging and site-building people, due to
    it's good content

    Here is my web-site - unwanted clothing items

    ReplyDelete

  8. I and my husband have been having a lot of problem living together, he will always not make me happy because he have fallen in love with another lady outside our relationship, i tried my best to make sure that my husband leave this woman but the more i talk to him the more he makes me feel sad, so my marriage is now leading to divorce because he no longer gives me attention. so with all this pain and agony, i decided to contact this spell caster to see if things can work out between me and my husband again. the spell caster told me what i will do to get my husband back, so he told me that he was going to make all things normal back. he did the spell on my husband and after 5 days my husband changed completely he even apologize with the way he treated me that he was not him self, i really thank this priest his name is Dr HOODOO he have bring back my husband back to me i want you all to contact him who are having any problem related to marriage issue and relationship problem he will solve it for you. his email hoodoolovespell@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

  9. Me and my boy friend was been separated for a long period of time, I came across different spell casters and they were all unable to bring back my lover. I was so sad and almost gave up on him, when i met a spell caster called Dr.Grant, who helped me get my lover back. Ever since then i have been so happy and couldnt believe it would happen. He also helped me with success spell, I have been living happily with my lover now and will be getting married soon. Here is his email address grantingheartdesiresspell@gmail.com to contact him if you need his help



    ReplyDelete
  10. Am writing this article to appreciate the good work of DR OTIS DARKO that helped me recently to bring back my wife that left me for another man for no reason for the past 3 years. After seeing a post of a woman on the internet testifying of how she was helped by DR OTIS DARKO. I also decided to contact him for help because all i wanted was for me to get my wife, happiness and to make sure that my child grows up with his mother. Am happy today that he helped me and i can proudly say that my wife is now with me again and she is now in love with me like never before. Are you in need of any help in your relationship like getting back your man, wife, boyfriend, girlfriend, winning of lotteries, herbal cure for sickness or job promotion E.T.C. Viewers reading my post that needs the help of DR OTIS DARKO should contact him now on his E-mail: otisdarko60@yahoo.com...YOU CAN ALSO ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP USING THIS MOBILE NUMBER:+2348077526136

    ReplyDelete
  11. Attention To The Everyone,

    My wife has been suffering from thyroid cancer which was confirmed to be stage four, the doctor told me there was little he could do since she wasn’t responding to treatment but a friend of mine came to our rescue by ordering this cannabis oil from Shakes Spear which he said has been helping some patient fight against cancer of various types so we decided to give it a chance, so far my wife is improving perfectly very well and presently she can walk around the house all by herself. I felt its necessary i let others who are suffering from this acute disease that once you have a good cannabis oil it can really give one a sound second chance of living by chance if you happen to be in need of this cannabis oil you can contact Dr Otis Darko who supplied I and my wife with this email: otisdarko60@yahoo.com


    HE FIX THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS TO ALL

    ACROSS THE GLOBE ON:

    1. Getting your lover or husband back

    2. Spiritual bulletproof

    3. Training

    4. Money spell

    5. Long life spell

    6. Prosperity spell

    7. Protection spell

    8. Get a job spell

    9. Becoming a manager spell

    10. Get a huge loan without paying any fee spell

    11. Getting your scam money back

    12. Child spell

    13. Pregnancy spell

    14. Freedom spell

    15. Love spell

    16, vanishing spell

    17. Invisible human spell

    18. Success or pass spell

    19. Marriage spell

    20. Avenging spell

    21. Popularity spell

    22. Killing spell

    23. Cancer spell

    24. Supernatural power spell

    25. Madness spell

    26. Free house loan spell

    27. Production spell of films and movie

    28. Hiv/aids spell

    29. Tuberculosis spell

    30. Loose weight and body spell



    contact me of any of these problem as I got solution to all... MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS: otisdarko60@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am just another person that as i would say, the ' GREAT SPELL CASTER OTIS DARKO ' has helped word can not describe all he did for me i would rather you all that would read this were all in my life when all what he did for me materialized because only then will you really believe what i am talking about. I was not born with a royal blood and i do not even come from a decent family by decent i mean a family with wealth and all that and it was more than normal that my relationship with a royal blood will cause a lot of feud in both my home and that of my fiance. Yes he from a royal family but i will not mentions anything else in other to avoid scandal. We meant on a faithful Sunday in church and just like that he swept me off my feet i knew he was the prince but that was not while i fell for him it was more like i fell for him because he seem calm and always at else with everything it was like he did not even see himself as a prince. May be you may think its because it was not next in line but when i got to really know him, i saw that he was just an unembellished person that wanted to live his life in peace. It all start with us being friend and then on every night of Christmas 2004 that he spent at my house he kissed me and believe me in my mind i was Cinderella. It was like my heart was going to burst in flame i never knew i had all those feelings locked away in my heart but he broke the chain that was holding it back with just one kiss. Even when he wanted to be with me he family was again it and it was always like i was the root of what ever problem he was going through with his family. I thought to myself, i can not be the one to take the peace he had i felt he was better and at else without me. We where always of and on and all the while he waited for me with the biggest of hope that i will come back. I knew he was madly in love with me as i was in love with him but being with him was a problem as much as not being with him. His family won't let him be with with me. They opposed our relationship for nine years we where in love but unhappy our relationship was going no where with all the feud. I could no longer be the one an entire family hate and the same time be in love with a guy that his family did not want me. I some how some way got to know about OTIS DARKO a spell cast a great one at that. All i want was to be with my now fiance forever and to be loved and cared for by his family just as it suppose to be. I asked him to help me make my heart desires materialize because i saw a lot of testimonies on the internet about him and the number of people he helped everybody and every blog and forum had his name and his work. I needed to be one of the people he helped. After a lot of conversation he agreed to help me and asked that i get some materials he listed for me. I could get them but i would have made too many people ask question and it needed to be done in a very low profile so i wired the total cost to him so that he can get the materials i needed for the spell and there by avoid exposing myself over what should have be done in secret until the spell process was completed. Yes OTIS DARKO helped me with he spell and he send me a package containing what i can not disclose all i can say is that it was the result of the spell he helped me cast and he gave instruction on how i would use it to make the spell effective. I did all he asked of me and just like he promise me at the beginning, the spell made my fiance entire family love respect and treat me like their own child. To me i would say that OTIS DARKO was my fairy godmother because maybe right now my life would have be miserable basically because i would have had to let go of the love of my life because no one or more like his family would not approve our union. Contact OTIS DARKO because you will only be helping yourself and yourself only use this email as contact otisdarko60@yahoo.com......YOU CAN ALSO ADD HIM UP ON WHATSAPP USING THIS MOBILE NUMBER:+2348077526136

    ReplyDelete