Saturday, January 9, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Outside

Pre-Run
It's Saturday, January 9th. Although I'm ostensibly waiting for my Garmin Forerunner batteries to charge before my run, really I'm eyeing the thermometer and trying to get psyched up for at least a 4 mile run. The distance isn't the problem. The problem is that first .25 to .50 mile. It's freaking cold here. Tops it's 31 degrees F. Sure, it could be much colder. This is Boston. But I struggle with dressing right. Either I'm too cold or too hot. And since that first .25 of a mile is tough for me under any circumstances (one of my quirks) adding being cold to wanting to turn around is not a great mix.

So. I wait for the battery to charge and I realize that the later it gets in the day, the colder it gets.

My plan for the day: 4 miles at least. I haven't been moving my base much lately. I need to start a more consistent running schedule in order to be prepared for my first half marathon at the end of May. I have plenty of time. But not plenty of motivation. :)

I'll come back and update this post after my run. :)

Post-Run
Yes. It was cold! But I got through it. My legs and stomach are super red and tingling, but at least I was dressed appropriately!

I ran 5.04 miles in 55:34. Not my PR, for sure, but not terrible either. I wanted to push past 4 miles and I'm happy that I went to 5, no matter the time. Woot!

No comments:

Post a Comment