Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Slacker No More

Finally. I broke my slacking cycle. I went to the gym today and started my usual running warm up on the treadmill. I went about 1.40 miles before I decided to bust out and take my run to the great wide open. Yes, I went outside! It's been super cold here lately. And yesterday it rained buckets. Today it was a relatively warm 43 or 46 degrees and bright sunshine. So, I ditched the treadmill and headed out the door.

The other issue with the treadmill was that my shoulders--both of them--started to bother me. Getting outside helped me relax, improve my posture and with it the stiffness in my neck and shoulders.

I could really feel the effects of my aforementioned slacking, however. That first 1.4 on the treadmill was torture. Boring, tiring, blah. When I got outside, yes, much better, but once I got to the top of my first hill (about a mile into the run) I hit the wall. I was good to myself, though. I stopped. Stretched. And continued on. Then I gave myself the option of a nice long downhill stretch to give my core a break.

All in all, I did 4 miles. Not sure about the time, but I'm guessing something like 45 mins overall.

Running the rest of this week will be a challenge, however. Tomorrow I have kid commitments, as I also do on Thursday. Maybe I can actually haul my ass out of bed at 6am and go for a run. We'll see.

1 comment: